Indianapolis Shakespeare Company
INTERNSHIPS FOR SUMMER 2019 ARE FULL
If you are a college student or recent graduate, we encourage you to check back in the spring of 2020 to apply for our 2020 summer production.
Directed by Ryan Artzberger
Indy Shakes is a fully professional, Equity 501c3 theatre company
If interested in multiple internships, please rank them in order of your interest.
If interested in combining two internships, please note that as well (please note the Directing and Stage Management internships cannot be combined with another internship.)
Many of these internships can be done with flexible hours, allowing interns to combine an Indy Shakes internship with another job opportunity in Indianapolis. ALL interns need to be available during production week.
Interns are paid a modest one-time amount of $50
Interns will be selected on a rolling basis beginning March 20th, 2019
Summer 2019 schedule:
Rehearsal period for HAMLET begins Sunday, June 30th: rehearsals are primarily weekday evenings and weekend days on the Butler campus.
Performance dates: July 25-27 & Aug 1-3 in Riverside Park
1. Directing (2): function as assistant to the director; observe all rehearsals; assist as needed; Commitment: 4 week rehearsal and production process; prior production meetings TBA: New This Year: Directing interns will directly assist with understudy rehearsals.
2. Acting (6): New This Year: the Acting interns will serve as understudies to the HAMLET productions. They will be required to observe a minimum of three rehearsals per week and will have additional understudy rehearsals and will be on call throughout the rehearsal and performance period. Extra application requirement: Acting interns must upload an under 2 minute monologue from Hamlet. (Upload link will appear when Acting Internship is selected.)
3. Stage management (2): function as Assistant Stage Managers (Production Assistants) to Equity Stage Manager; Commitment: 4 week rehearsal and production process including load-in, strike, all set-ups, rehearsals, performances. Also some preliminary work the week before rehearsals begin. New This Year: SM interns will provide support to the understudy rehearsals
4. Costume and Wardrobe (4): assist designer in all aspects of costume construction; work as wardrobe crew during tech week. Commitment: approx. 10 hours per week in June and July. Plus production week including load-in, dress rehearsals, performances and strike.
5. Set (2-4): assist set designer and technical director in the construction of the set. Commitment: dependent upon the design, but primary commitment would be in July with up to 10 hours per week. Production week including load-in/load out included.
6. Sound (2): assist in the set-up and execution of the sound system in White River State Park. Commitment: production week including load-in, strike, all set-ups, rehearsals, performances.
7. Props (2): assist in the creation and gathering of all props during the production process as needed. Commitment: as needed before and during rehearsal process. Plus production week load-in, strike, all set-ups, rehearsals, performances.
8. Technical/Load-in/out (6): All interns participate in Load/in/out—this internship is specifically for interns who would like to work with Indy Shakes for one week only to assist in the load-in, production week and strike. Commitment: Production week.
9. Marketing/PR (1): Must be a very proactive, self-starter who will assist in production promotion on all levels; opportunity to design and implement creative marketing ideas. Commitment: initial meetings beginning in Spring 2019. 10 hours per week commitment beginning in June 2019 and continuing through production week. Opportunity for time off during this time period. Duties include promotional efforts for the production including web-based advertising, poster/postcard distribution throughout Indianapolis, etc. Assist with all aspects of representing Indy Shakes in the park during production week.
10. Arts Administration Strategic Planning (2): These 2 internship positions will focus on research and development for execution of our Indy Shakes strategic plan which includes longer range planning efforts.
11. Lighting (1): Primary commitment is Production Week in the park and running light board.
12. Usher (6): Work front of house, program distribution, audience survey collection, coordinate with stage manager and event manager on all aspects of production. Primary commitment July 25-27 & Aug 1-3, 2019.
All Indy interns are directly involved with all aspects of Tech/Production Week:
Truck Loading: Sunday July 21st (limited hours)
Load-in and Tech rehearsals: Monday July 22nd -Wed July 23rd: (Load in DAYS and rehearse EVENINGS: Monday: full day/evening; Tuesday: full day/evening; Wed partial or no daytime commitment/evening is final dress) All meals provided
Performances: July 25-27 & Aug 1-3 (possible brush up rehearsal Wed July 31st): evening commitment only
Load out & Strike: ALL INTERNS assist with strike on Sat Aug 3rd after the performance